Saturday, June 28, 2008

Exclusive: Miley Cyrus Grows Up On 'Breakout'

Miley Cyrus
June 27, 2008 , 11:00 AM ET
Cortney Harding, N.Y.
Miley Cyrus is a superstar to millions of teens around the world as Hannah Montana, but it's a more grown-up Cyrus that emerges on her new album, "Breakout." The set is due July 22 via Hollywood; first single "7 Thing" rockets 70-10 this week on the Billboard Hot 100.

"It's grown-up," Cyrus tells Billboard in an exclusive interview. "I wrote all the songs except two. My last one, 'Meet Miley Cyrus,' was more just meeting me, finding out who I am, and here it's more getting in depth of what's been going on in my life in the past year."

Cyrus pushed to write the songs herself this time around, saying that, "No matter how long what I'm doing here lasts, I want to be a songwriter for the rest of my life. I love it and it's my escape. I just hope this record showcases that -- more than anything -- I'm a writer."

The artist found herself in a media firestorm earlier this year when a photo of her bare shoulder, entwined in a bed sheet, appeared in Vanity Fair.

"I was embarrassed," she says in her rapid, self-assured clip, "but also it's like, every career thing that I do can't be perfect, and sometimes my decisions are wrong. I think that just makes me even more relatable. I don't think people will look at me any differently because they're like, 'You know what, I'm going to do stupid stuff too, and I'm going to make mistakes, and that's fine.' It still hurts when I think about it -- but you know what, it doesn't mean that you can't move on."

Cyrus is in the midst of filming the third season of her hit Disney show "Hannah Montana," as well as a "Hannah" movie in Tennessee. Her team is also plotting a successor to her runaway smash 2007 concert tour, which drew nearly 1 million fans.

"We're weighing the pros and cons of having her do multiple nights in one big city versus her doing one-night shows in a number of smaller markets," says Chip McLean, senior VP of Buena Vista Concerts for Disney Music Group. "Since she is someone who appeals to families, we can't just have her play the top 15 markets. Families won't be able to afford to make the trip, buy the tickets and pay for the hotel if we did that."
Source

See also:
Rapper Jal, living to tell about it

No comments: